Garðahús was built as a vicarage in the years 1876-1882. It is the first concrete building of this type built in Iceland and Scandinavia even. Garðahús was discontinued as a vicarage in 1886 and after that its land was leased for farming until 1931. Extensive changes were made to the house in 1935 in order for it to be used as a morgue and a funeral chapel, which never happened. When the Akranes Folk Museum was founded on 13th December 1959, it acquired Garðahús for housing the museum. The house was brought back to its original form in 1986-1990 and is now used for exhibitions.